Monday, April 9, 2007

Finding out about "your Fast"

Last night I was hanging out with some of my non-Adcenter (read: normal) friends, and we went to a small party. When we got back from the party, my friend Adam reaches for a DVD to put in, just like most kids our age do when they get home at 2am on a Saturday night. Yet, this was different. This was an amazing piece of entertaining marketing that had my friends rolling on the ground laughing and at the same time lusting over the product.

I'm talking about the DVD that Crispin Porter & Bogusky made for the Volkswagon GTI. In it, an American actor with a pretty bad German accent goes through many scenes explaining the different features of the GTI and also going through some "focus group research" with a few consumers. The whole point is to find "your inner Fast."

It's hysterical. My friends told me that they had only watched it once before, yet they were quoting specific lines right before they came up! It was THAT memorable! Keep in mind that the choices in Adam's DVD collection included Wedding Crashers, Old School, Anchorman, Office Space, etc. This list of funny movies he has can go on forever. Yet he picked the VW GTI DVD, and his roommates were psyched about his decision!

Adam got it by taking a test drive of a GTI. Of course, he's a college kid and doesn't have the money to buy a GTI. But this DVD has entertained him enough that he associates the GTI with fun times, and I guarantee that in a few years when he is ready to be a car, he's going to be thinking about a GTI.

Good work Crispin.

No comments: